Colorado Secretary of State logo - cube with a C in it

Colorado Secretary
of State Jena Griswold

Colorado Secretary of State logo - Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold

Picture of Secretary of State Jena Griswold

Colorado Secretary of State logo - cube with a C in it

Secretary of State
Jena Griswold


Colorado Open Records Act (CORA)

What is CORA?

The Colorado Open Records Act "CORA" requires that most public records be available to the public. A "public record" includes most writings made, maintained, or kept by our office. However, there are some exceptions concerning records made available under CORA.

Anyone can request public records in the possession of a government office, including the Secretary of State's office.

How do I submit a CORA request to the Colorado Secretary of State's office?

To request records in possession of the Secretary of State's office, send a detailed, written request by mail or email to:

CORA Custodian
1700 Broadway, Suite 200
Denver, CO 80290

In making your request, it is helpful to include the following:

  • Your name and mailing address.
  • Your phone number or email address so that we can contact you if we need to clarify your request.
  • A detailed list or description of the specific records that you are seeking, including search terms and a date range.

The more specific your request is, the faster we can complete it. Being specific also helps us to avoid giving you too much or too little information.

Do all open records requests go through the Secretary of State's office?

No. The Secretary of State's office does not process all open records requests for the state. A person must request records directly from the appropriate government office or the custodian of the records. Other agencies may have different processes for open records requests, so contact the appropriate office ahead of time to review its process. Our office does not have authority to determine if another agency or office has improperly denied a CORA request, or to require another agency to turn over records.

How long will it take to respond to my request?

When responding to a request for public records, the Secretary of State's office will make every effort to respond within three working days as required by section 24-72-203(3)(b), C.R.S. The three working-day response time begins the first working day following receipt of the complete request. A request received after close of business or any day the agency is official closed will be considered received as of the following working day.

The agency may add up to a seven-working-day extension as allowed in section 24-72-203(3)(b), C.R.S.

For broad, general requests, the timeframe for completion of a request may be put on hold while the Department attempts to assist with clarification or narrowing of a request.

How much will my CORA request cost?

Broad, general requests will likely be more costly to the requestor due to the staff time required to fulfill these requests. When a request is made that requires more than one hour of staff time to locate or produce records, the agency will charge the requestor for all copying expenses or staff time in accordance with section 24-72-205(5)(a), C.R.S.

Before fulfilling a substantial request, the agency will provide a cost estimate to the requestor that includes the estimated time for staff to search for, retrieve, redact, assemble, and transmit the records. The requestor must approve the cost estimate before the agency will begin work on fulfilling the request. The agency may require an advance deposit of the expected cost before it will begin completing the request.

The timeframe for completion of the request is put on hold between providing the cost estimate to the requestor and the requestor approving the cost estimate or submitting the advance deposit, whichever is applicable.

Costs associated with a request must be paid in full before the agency will produce the records.

Do I have to submit a CORA request with the Secretary of State's office to get information?

Before making a CORA request, you may contact our office to request information from our staff. Our office is a filing office for business entity records, UCC and EFS filings, charitable solicitations, bingo-raffle, notary, lobbyist, campaign finance, and candidate filings. Many of these documents are already readily available to the public online. We may be able to help you access these filings without asking you to make a CORA request.

Where can I find more information about CORA?

For more information about CORA requests, see the frequently asked questions.

You can also read the rules concerning public records requests.

In addition, you can read the Colorado Open Records Act or view the Attorney General Opinion concerning CORA requests (PDF).