Colorado Secretary of State logo - cube with a C in it

Colorado Secretary
of State Jena Griswold

Colorado Secretary of State logo - Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold

Picture of Secretary of State Jena Griswold

Colorado Secretary of State logo - cube with a C in it

Secretary of State
Jena Griswold


Charities - Instructions for Requesting an Extension

Is there a fee for extensions?

No. Extensions are free.

Your system gave me an automatic three-month extension, but we need more time than that. Can I request an additional extension?

Charitable organizations receive an automatic 3-month extension. You can request an additional 3-month extension through our website if you need more time. Organizations that request an extension with the IRS and need a full six months will need to file a separate extension through our website, since our automatic extension is for only three months.

Even though the electronic filing system will enter an automatic 3-month extension, be aware that by law, charities must still file a renewal and financial report with us by the 15th day of the fifth month after the organization’s fiscal year, unless the IRS authorizes a later date for filing the organization’s Form 990. We may request documentation of the IRS authorization.

The IRS has changed their procedures so that there is only one extension that is good for six months. Do we also get an automatic six-month extension from you?

No. Your organization will get an automatic three-month extension from us, but you must request a second extension on our website to add an additional three months.

When should I request an additional extension?

Extension requests must be made on or before the 17th day after your registration expires to avoid late fees and preserve your status as a registered charity. Registrations are valid until the date the required financial report is due. Financial reports are due on or before the 15th day of the eighth month after the close of each fiscal year (as long as the IRS has also approved an extension of time to file with them).

Example of a charity filing and notice schedule

In this example the charity expires on 8/15/2019. The schedule below show what happens if the charity doesn't file their renewal by the deadline.

Expiration date: 8/15/2019 (Last day registration is valid)

Notice #1 - First notice of expiration sent:8/16/2019 (expiration date + 1 day)

Notice #2 - Second notice of expiration sent:8/25/2019 (expiration date + 10 days)

Last day to renew or file extension without penalty: 9/1/2019 (expiration date + 17 days)

Fines will apply if charity was required to renew registration: 9/2/2019 (expiration date + 18 days)

Notice #3 - Notice that fines will apply if charity was required to renew registration sent: 9/2/2019 (expiration date + 18 days)

See "How do I request an additional extension?"

How do I request an additional extension?

    1. Log in to your account with your user ID and password. Need help logging in?

      After you log in, make sure that you are on the Summary Page. If necessary, click on the "Summary Page" link.

    2. Click on "File a document".

    3. Click on "File Extension" in the list of available transactions.

    4. Review the information on the extension request page.

    5. When you have completed the form, click on "Sign extension" at the bottom of the page to submit it.

    6. The next page will confirm the filing of the extension and tell you what your new (extended) expiration date is.

I’m a preparer for an organization. Do I still need an authorized officer to login and sign an extension request?

No. A preparer can file an extension on behalf of an organization without an authorized officer’s signature.

Can I get an extension for a campaign financial report?

No. The deadline for filing a campaign financial report can't be extended. All campaign reports are due within 90 days of the end of a solicitation campaign. Failure to file on time will result in late fees. Continued failure to file a report will eventually result in the fundraiser's registration being suspended.

I’m a paid solicitor or professional fundraising consultant. Can I file for an extension?

No. Extensions are only available to charitable organizations.